Today in Amazon Glacier tutorial series, I am going to show you management of data archives and how to search Amazon Glacier files.You can build your own Amazon Glacier search engine by using Google forms. You can search Amazon Glacier files in archives even they are encrypted or zipped that too offline using following method.
Why we need backup copy of details related to files stored in Amazon Glacier with archive id and what is Amazon Glacier archive id ?
Every file you stored in Amazon Glacier online storage service is called archive. When you upload file to Amazon Glacier, after upload process completes, Glacier will issue archive id. So Glacier uses archive id instead of file names at time retrieval.
For example, you have 100 GB of data at Glacier and each you uploaded data in batches of zip files of 1GB each. Now one fine morning you forced to restore some abcaccount.doc from Amazon Glacier. Since Data retrieval from Amazon is costly affair , you can’t take risk of guessing zip file contain that doc. While uploading, if you store files name and zip file name contains with its archive id in excel sheet, you can download exactly required file in no time. To automate this process Google forms come in to picture.
Manage and search Amazon Glacier archive files by building archive catalog search engine with Google forms.
Google forms is Google docs feature, using this feature you can generate web forms instantly and submitted data stores in excel file, field wise in your Google docs or Google Drive.
Goto your Google drive and create new form with fields
- Archive name ( type text field): Name of the file that you going to upload in Glacier.List of
- Files in archive ( Text area/Text box):If above archive is zip, mention names of all files zipped.
- Archive id ( text box/text area):ID given by Amazon Glacier after download.
Every time you upload anything to Glacier, fill this form. It will be very handy at time retrieval and search files stored in Amazon Glacier. It is now act as your own search engine. Now you can search Amazon Glacier files.
Author: Rawi G
Other Posts related to current topic
- Now auto backup Amazon S3 data to Glacier made easy
- TOTP desktop software to enable multi factor authentication for Amazon cloud services
- How to run original Evernote desktop client in Centos and Redhat Linux
- How to learn Cloud Computing and how to become Cloud ready professional
- How to plan Amazon Glacier online archive upload to save money
- How to search Amazon Glacier files in vaults,archives with Google forms (This post)
- Best freeware Amazon Glacier client front end tool for data managment
- Amazon Glacier data retrieval cost calculation confusion cleared with example
- Amazon Glacier wrong billing of retrieval data.For 1GB charged 167 GB amount
- My hands-on experience with Amazon Glacier storage and its billing review
- How to build personal Cloud under $100 at your home basement
- Online backup vs online archive service check before sign up for cloud backup
- How Adrive inspired me to think about online back or cloud backup
- Portable free easy to use personal finance application for windows huh how hard
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License